Hey! Hey! Raise your hand if you love tortellini. Now raise your other hand if you love cheese. Now put your hands down, you look silly, and go make this Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Tortellini Bake.Jump to Recipe | Print Recipe
The inspiration for this Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Tortellini Bake comes from Danelle’s recipe at Let’s Dish. I’ve made many a pasta bake in my day but never thought to use tortellini. Sometimes you just want a pasta bake to be super cheesy but if you add too much cheese it just sticks to the utensils and not the pasta. So it makes total sense to put the cheese inside the pasta! (That’s not to say there isn’t any cheese on the outside!)
Also, instead of just having mozzarella, I added a bit of homemade Alfredo sauce, again, so the gooey cheese didn’t become overwhelming and difficult to eat. But, omg, alllll the taste my friends!
Notes Regarding Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Tortellini Bake:
- I remove the stems of the mushrooms and the baby spinach because I’m strange like that, but you don’t have to.
- I used fresh mozzarella pearls on top of the dish but you can use the bagged, shredded version that is mixed into the tortellini bake if you want.
- You may want to make extra Alfredo sauce and keep it separate in case you happen to have leftovers. When the pasta sits overnight, it soaks up a lot of the sauce.
- Be sure to use a good quality Parmesan. The stuff in the green canister won’t do here. It won’t melt completely, creating a lumpy sauce. (Feel free to put it on top when it’s all baked though!)
- Fun fact: did you know that the word Parmesan is capitalized because the cheese is named after Parma, Italy, where it originated?
- I’m also going to capitalize Alfredo in Alfredo sauce since it was named after its creator, Alfredo di Lelio who whipped it up for his pregnant wife back in 1914 because she was having trouble keeping food down. (I guess it was considered “something light.” Haha.)
- If you like this recipe, also check out my Creamy, Chicken, Mushroom, and Tortellini Soup!
Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Tortellini Bake
- coconut, avocado, or olive oil for sauteeing
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms washed, stems removed, and sliced
- 1 small medium yellow onion diced
- 4 scallions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed through garlic press
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 6 tbsp butter
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 2 cups good quality Parmesan finely shredded
- salt and pepper
- 18 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini cooked according to directions on package
- 1 packed cup baby spinach washed and stems removed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 6 oz mozzarella pearls
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil to medium heat.
Add the mushrooms, onions, scallions, and garlic and sauté until mushrooms are cooked down and slightly brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add additional oil to the skillet and heat up.
Add the chicken cubes and cook until done. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add the butter to the skillet and melt, add the heavy cream and let it warm through.
Add the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
Add the cooked tortellini, mushroom mixture, and chicken to a 9x13 casserole dish. Pour the sauce over and gently combine.
Fold in the shredded mozzarella and spinach. Top with the mozzarella pearls.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes.